A house that "sparkles" on the surface will sell faster than its shabby neighbor, even though both are structurally well maintained.
From experience, REALTORS® also know that a "well-polished" house appeals to more buyers and will sell faster and for a higher price. Additionally, buyers feel more comfortable purchasing a well-cared for home because if what they can see is well maintained, they assume that what they can't see has probably also been well maintained. In readying your house for sale, consider:
- how much should you spend to prepare your house for sale?
- exterior and curb appeal
- interior appeal
Before putting your house on the market, take as much time as necessary (and as little money as possible) to maximize its exterior and interior appeal.
How Much Should You Spend to Prepare Your House for Sale?
In preparing your home for the market, spend as little money as possible. Buyers will be impressed by a brand new roof, but they aren't likely to give you enough extra money to pay for it. There is a big difference between making minor and inexpensive polishes and touch-ups to your house, such as putting new knobs on cabinets and a fresh coat of neutral paint in the living room, and doing extensive and costly renovations, like installing a new kitchen.
Your REALTOR® is familiar with buyers' expectations in your neighborhood and can advise you specifically on what improvements need to be made and which improvements are most effective. Don't hesitate to ask for advice.
Helpful Hints For Selling Your Home (in & out)
Buyers are searching for a “home” - a place one feels comfortable, secure, and happy, a place in which they can imagine settling down and raising their family. As a seller, your goal is to cultivate these feelings through the property your selling. By depersonalizing the buyer can feel a uniqueness for “their” place.
Please follow these simple suggestions to help me sell your home quickly and for the best possible price. Remember, we do not get a second chance to make a good first impression.
EXTERIOR (Drive-up Appeal):
- Keep your lawn green & hedges trimmed and edged
- Weed and cultivate gardens & flowerbeds to add vibrancy to your yard
- De-clutter front entrance (give your front door some fresh paint, new mat)
- Remove rubbish around the yard, hide garbage can etc.
- Keep kids toys neat (storage units work great)
- Pressure wash
INTERIOR (fresh & clean):
- Ensure all rooms look as best they can
- De-clutter, spacious living, showing whole home ie storage, closets
- Wall colours should appeal to the widest range of buyers (clean or paint)
- Flooring (clean or replace depending on condition)
- Windows cleaned in & out
- Replace broken tiles
- Odour check, shampoo carpet (ozone sprays if necessary)
- Fix leaky faucets, caulking, polished fixtures and remove stains
- Repair cracks in walls or ceiling
- Clean fireplace and lay fresh logs
DURING THE SHOWING (with prep complete):
- It's best to leave the house
- Contain pets or take them with you for full access
- Mellow low music
- Lights on and drapes open for brightness